Monday, June 06, 2005

Why do we cry?

I was reading an article the other day and it was talking about consciousness and where does it come from. And it mentioned something about tears, and I have always wondered what exactly is it that makes people cry, not meaning what events happen, but why is crying what happens when people are sad, I mean doesn't it seem like a weird way to express oneself, to have body fluids secreted from your body, sometimes projectile depending on whats wrong with you, lol. And then I remembered hearing about people who's tear ducts have been removed, or malfunction have really serious issues because they can't produce tears when they cry which makes them more depressed. And I really was confused then because I was like can't you go through the motions of crying, do you really need the "water" for it to be beneficial. So I was bored the other day and tried to find an answer on the internet. And in case you don't want to read the whole page (it's really not that much, I'll summarize) I found out that there are three differen types of tears :

basal tears : which keep our eyes lubricated
irritant tears : which protect our eyes from debris and wind
and finally emotional tears : which form when, well you know when they form....but they are there to release proteins which the site said contain "hormones that build up to very high levels when the body withstands emotional stress" And, "If the chemicals associated with stress did not discharge at all, they would build up to toxic levels that could weaken the body's immune system and other biological processes."

So this satisfied most of my curiosity, but I still don't get why, but I think that's a whole, you have to ask the creator about that type question.

Here's a link to the article in case you want to read more : http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f03/web3/n1kaim.html

Join me tomorrow when I research another one of my curiosities. If you have any curious questions post them and if it's interesting and I have the chance I'll research it for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home