Saturday, September 03, 2005

Kanye West @ the Red Cross Benefit

Wow, I just saw this video (avi file), and I was a little shocked lol. He just said all of what was on his mind. The Red Cross and NBC have already issued statements denouncing what happened. He came out and said at the end before the cut to Chris Tucker, that "George Bush doesn't care about black people." All of what was on his mind. I'm hoping this doesn't affect donations to the Red Cross. Although I kinda agree with most of what he said, I don't think that was the right place for it. But at the same time, I think that people who were going to give are going to give, if that turns them off from giving then they have a problem. Some people on the site Confederate Yankee are making comments that they will be donating the money to the Salvation Army instead of the Red Cross, which is fine, as long as it's going to the same place, I'm thinking it doesn't matter how it gets there. I wish there was something I could do to help, but alas there is not.

I'm also not understanding why people aren't allowed to loot freely, since pretty much anything left there is going to be destroyed or scrapped anyways...Let the people have the crap. No point in killing someone over some food or a stereo. I'm assuming that the businesses' insurance will have to cover this anyways (maybe I'm confused on this point, I'm not completely sure how all this works).

I was having the discussion with a couple friends of why didn't they assist those who didn't have transportation to evacuate to flee to safety. I don't understand is why they didn't set up areas in the two days before to bus people who couldn't afford to leave out of the area. Because I don't think that most of the people that stayed there actually wanted to stay. So for the people that weren't actually refusing to leave, why didn't they make some sort of arrangements to get them out of there. I've been wondering about this for a few days now, wasn't this feasibly possible?

It really sucks that this whole tragedy was predicted 3 years ago, and from what I understand funding had been cut to try to combat the problem. It's crazy what gets funding and what goes untouched in this country. What is a person to do to help?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home